This section of my blog used to contain myriad articles on a wide range of topics of interest to nonprofits. In 2016, I decided to cull it, and to focus on two cutting edge (and sometimes controversial) topics, Bitcoin (and Blockchain), and Crowdfunding.
In 2015, I began “pinning” noteworthy articles on an array of subjects to my new Pinterest board, Nonprofit News Now! You might enjoy checking that site out as well.
Bitcoin (and Blockchain)
Bitcoin: Bitcoin is a form of digital currency, created and held electronically. No one controls it. Bitcoins aren’t printed, like dollars or euros – they’re produced by people, and increasingly businesses, running computers all around the world, using software that solves mathematical problems.
Blockchain: A blockchain is a public ledger of all Bitcoin transactions that have ever been executed. It is constantly growing as ‘completed’ blocks are added to it with a new set of recordings. The blocks are added to the blockchain in a linear, chronological order.
I find this series of YouTube videos provided by TechCrunch to be helpful, “Watch all six episodes of the series Trust Disrupted: Bitcoin and the Blockchain”
- BitGive Foundation Blog
- Blockchain Blog, “The Benefits of Accepting Bitcoin as a Nonprofit” (n.d.).
- Claudia Cahalane for The Guardian, “Bitcoin: How the Charity RNLI is Using the Digital Currency” (September, 2014).
- domain-b.com, “Bitcoin is Better Than Any Currency – Bill Gates” (October 4, 2014).
- Steve Forbes for Forbes, “How Bitcoin Will End World Poverty” (April 2, 2015).
- Fortune via Reuters, “This Former Regulator is a Bitcoin Backer” (April 13, 2016).
- Dominic Frisby, Virgin Entrepreneur, “Entrepreneurs Move In On Bitcoin” (October 7, 2014).
- Joe Garecht for The Fundraising Authority, “Should Your Non-Profit Accept Bitcoin for Donations” (2014).
- Ben Geier for Fortune, “How Nasdaq is Helping Bitcoin Go Mainstream” (March 24, 2015).
- Clay Michael Gillespie for Blockchain Agenda, “Bitcoin Benevolence: The Clear Benefits of Non-Profits Accepting Bitcoin” (February 5, 2015).
- Gerrard Hartley for Cryptocoins News, “Bitcoin is Revolutionizing the Non Profit Sector [Infographic]” (2014).
Bitcoin – Special Focus – Wes Holing for TechSoup, “How to Set Up Bitcoin for Your Nonprofit” (July 6, 2015).
- Stephen Hui, Straight.com, “Bitcoin Empowers Nonprofits in Vancouver” (February 19, 2014).
- Tanaya Macheel, CoinDesk, “United Way Reveals Why It Became Bitcoin’s Biggest Charity” (September 30, 2014).
- Rob Marsh, xapo, “Bitcoin and Charity: A Perfect Match” (October 2, 2014).
- Joe Pagliery for CNN Money, “PayPal Now Lets Shops Accept Bitcoin” (September 26, 2014).
- Jamie Smith of BitFury Group for the World Economic Forum, “There is More to Blockchain Than Moving Money. It Has the Potential to Change Our Lives.” (November 9, 2016).
- Dan Tapscott and Alex Tapscott for TIME, “How the Tech Behind Bitcoin Will Change Your Life” (May 6, 2016).
- Aaron Tilley for Forbes, “Microsoft Begins Accepting Bitcoin for Purchasing Digital Goods” (December 11, 2014).
- World Economic Forum, “The future of financial infrastructure: An ambitious look at how blockchain can reshape financial services” (August, 2016).
Crowdfunding: Crowdfunding is the use of small amounts of capital from a large number of individuals to finance a new business or social good venture. Crowdfunding makes use of the easy accessibility of vast networks of people through social media and crowdfunding websites to bring investors and entrepreneurs together.
- Apricot, “A Guide to Crowdfunding Success for Nonprofits” (2014).
- Ernest Barbaric, “The Non-Profit Guide to Successful Crowdfunding” (ca. 2013).
- Tsivya Fox for Breaking Israel News, “Crowdfunding Raised $34.4 Billion in 2015. How Simple Is It?” (June 22, 2016).
- CauseVox (guide download), “How to Plan a Nonprofit Crowdfunding Campaign” (n.d.).
- GlobalGiving, “CrowdFundamentals: 11 Steps to Online Fundraising Success” (2016).
- GoodCrowd.info search results for “crowdfunding”
- Google for Entrepreneurs, “#RaiseYourRound Pt. 1: Crowdfunding, Seed Funding and Accelerators” (January 21, 2015).
- Claudia Cahalane, The Guardian, “Expert Advice: Crowdfunding” (May 3, 2013).
- Tatyana Kapkan for Nonprofit Hub, “11 Indispensable Ingredients of a Successful Crowdfunding Campaign” (ca. 2014).
- Lyz Lenz for Daily Dot, “Is Crowdfunding the New Church?” (July 31, 2016).
- Eric Markowitz, Inc., “22 Crowdfunding Sites (And How To Choose Yours!)” (June 2013).
- National Council of Nonprofits, “Crowdfunding for Nonprofits” (n.d.).
- NewsFix (CW39), “Is Crowdfunding After Death the New Life Insurance?” (April 14, 2016).
- Christopher Null, PC World, “6 Kickstarter Nightmares, and How to Prevent Them” (November 5, 2012).
- David Prosser for Forbes, “Andy Murray Helps Crowdfunders Smash Their Targets” (March 11, 2016).
- Tim Sarrantonio of Z2 Systems for NTEN, “Is Crowdfunding Right for Your Nonprofit?” (January 15, 2015).
- Kim Lachance Shandrow, Young Entrepreneur, “10 Questions to Ask When Creating Your First Kickstarter Project” (June 1, 2013).
- Ruth Simon and Erik Brynildsen, The Wall Street Journal, “Who Benefits from Crowdfunding?” (March 30, 2016).
- Devin Thorpe on GoodCrowd.info, “Crowdfunding Platform Directory” (August 17, 2015).