This section of my blog used to contain myriad articles on a wide range of topics of interest to nonprofits. In 2016, I decided to cull it, and to focus on two cutting edge (and sometimes controversial) topics: 1) Bitcoin (and Blockchain), and 2) Crowdfunding.
In 2015, I also began “pinning” noteworthy articles on an array of subjects to my new Pinterest board, Nonprofit News Now! You might enjoy checking that site out as well.
Bitcoin (and Blockchain)
Bitcoin: Bitcoin is a form of digital currency, created and held electronically. No one controls it. Bitcoins aren’t printed, like dollars or euros – they’re produced by people, and increasingly businesses, running computers all around the world, using software that solves mathematical problems.
Blockchain: A blockchain is a public ledger of all Bitcoin transactions that have ever been executed. It is constantly growing as ‘completed’ blocks are added to it with a new set of recordings. The blocks are added to the blockchain in a linear, chronological order.
I find this series of YouTube videos provided by TechCrunch to be helpful, “Watch all six episodes of the series Trust Disrupted: Bitcoin and the Blockchain”
- BitGive Foundation Blog
- Blockchain Blog, “The Benefits of Accepting Bitcoin as a Nonprofit” (n.d.).
- Claudia Cahalane for The Guardian, “Bitcoin: How the Charity RNLI is Using the Digital Currency” (September, 2014).
- DinarDirham has posted a helpful infographic that explains The World of Initial Coin Offerings. While it may be of interest mostly to our more advanced students of currency, I wanted to share the article and infographic at their request.
- domain-b.com, “Bitcoin is Better Than Any Currency – Bill Gates” (October 4, 2014).
- Steve Forbes for Forbes, “How Bitcoin Will End World Poverty” (April 2, 2015).
- Felix Forsgren for Coinworld, “Bitcoin and Ethereum 101” (July 26, 2017).
- Fortune via Reuters, “This Former Regulator is a Bitcoin Backer” (April 13, 2016).
- Dominic Frisby, Virgin Entrepreneur, “Entrepreneurs Move In On Bitcoin” (October 7, 2014).
- Joe Garecht for The Fundraising Authority, “Should Your Non-Profit Accept Bitcoin for Donations” (2014).
- Ben Geier for Fortune, “How Nasdaq is Helping Bitcoin Go Mainstream” (March 24, 2015).
- Clay Michael Gillespie for Blockchain Agenda, “Bitcoin Benevolence: The Clear Benefits of Non-Profits Accepting Bitcoin” (February 5, 2015).
- Gerrard Hartley for Cryptocoins News, “Bitcoin is Revolutionizing the Non Profit Sector [Infographic]” (2014).
Bitcoin – Special Focus – Wes Holing for TechSoup, “How to Set Up Bitcoin for Your Nonprofit” (July 6, 2015).
- Stephen Hui, Straight.com, “Bitcoin Empowers Nonprofits in Vancouver” (February 19, 2014).
- Tanaya Macheel, CoinDesk, “United Way Reveals Why It Became Bitcoin’s Biggest Charity” (September 30, 2014).
- Rob Marsh, xapo, “Bitcoin and Charity: A Perfect Match” (October 2, 2014).
- Joe Pagliery for CNN Money, “PayPal Now Lets Shops Accept Bitcoin” (September 26, 2014).
- Jamie Smith of BitFury Group for the World Economic Forum, “There is More to Blockchain Than Moving Money. It Has the Potential to Change Our Lives.” (November 9, 2016).
- Dan Tapscott and Alex Tapscott for TIME, “How the Tech Behind Bitcoin Will Change Your Life” (May 6, 2016).
- Aaron Tilley for Forbes, “Microsoft Begins Accepting Bitcoin for Purchasing Digital Goods” (December 11, 2014).
- World Economic Forum, “The future of financial infrastructure: An ambitious look at how blockchain can reshape financial services” (August, 2016).
Supportive Posting on Cryptocurrencies
This page of Carolyn’s Nonprofit Blog has become highly searchable, and as you know, the interest in Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies continues to escalate. I am approached by some wanting to be included in the list. In the spirit of sharing and global camaraderie, here are a few more links.
- “My name is Andrej. I’m a 29 years old guy from Slovakia. I work as a freelance web designer and in my free time I build websites like this one. 🙂”
- Carla Thomas has produced an amazing infographic about the history of Bitcoin on 2K Reviews, “Bitcoin – An Insight On The Past Events and The Times Ahead [Infographic].”
Crowdfunding: Crowdfunding is the use of small amounts of capital from a large number of individuals to finance a new business or social good venture. Crowdfunding makes use of the easy accessibility of vast networks of people through social media and crowdfunding websites to bring investors and entrepreneurs together.
- Apricot, “A Guide to Crowdfunding Success for Nonprofits” (2014).
- Ernest Barbaric, “The Non-Profit Guide to Successful Crowdfunding” (ca. 2013).
- Ryan Brennell for Philanthropy Journal News, “Nonprofit Crowdfunding: A Chance to Go Viral” (February 27, 2017).
- Claudia Cahalane for The Guardian, “Expert Advice: Crowdfunding” (May 3, 2013).
- Tsivya Fox for Breaking Israel News, “Crowdfunding Raised $34.4 Billion in 2015. How Simple Is It?” (June 22, 2016).
- CauseVox (guide download), “How to Plan a Nonprofit Crowdfunding Campaign” (n.d.).
- GlobalGiving, “CrowdFundamentals: 11 Steps to Online Fundraising Success” (2016).
- Google for Entrepreneurs, “#RaiseYourRound Pt. 1: Crowdfunding, Seed Funding and Accelerators” (January 21, 2015).
- Andy Hamflett for NTEN, “Crowdfunding: From Threat to Friend” (August 22, 2014).
- Kevin Johnson for Nonprofit Quarterly, “Crowdfunding Will Change Philanthropy – But How?” (March 15, 2017).
- Tatyana Kapkan for Nonprofit Hub, “11 Indispensable Ingredients of a Successful Crowdfunding Campaign” (ca. 2014).
- Lyz Lenz for Daily Dot, “Is Crowdfunding the New Church?” (July 31, 2016).
- Eric Markowitz, Inc., “22 Crowdfunding Sites (And How To Choose Yours!)” (June 2013).
- National Council of Nonprofits, “Crowdfunding for Nonprofits” (n.d.).
- NewsFix (CW39), “Is Crowdfunding After Death the New Life Insurance?” (April 14, 2016).
- Christopher Null, PC World, “6 Kickstarter Nightmares, and How to Prevent Them” (November 5, 2012).
- David Prosser for Forbes, “Andy Murray Helps Crowdfunders Smash Their Targets” (March 11, 2016).
- Kim Lachance Shandrow, Young Entrepreneur, “10 Questions to Ask When Creating Your First Kickstarter Project” (June 1, 2013).
- Ruth Simon and Erik Brynildsen, The Wall Street Journal, “Who Benefits from Crowdfunding?” (March 30, 2016).
- Devin Thorpe on GoodCrowd.info, “Crowdfunding Platform Directory” (August 17, 2015).